Monday, July 23, 2007

Whats with g00gle??

Why does it have to give undesired search results to my blog when there are people ready to pay to get their links displayed?

The first time i realized this was when a search for my (now former) organizations's name returned the first search result as this blog. What crap!! Shouldn't the best search engine rather point to the co's website? So.. i scrapped the entire post. And since then, was careful not to use such names in my posts. Else, insert characters in between in case i had to.

The second... when my gmail id returns the link to this place.

Third... I did not edit my name in the signature of the mail i posted in the last blog entry... and there it goes... link on 2nd page when you search for my name.

Web 2.0 denies people their privacy or the freedom to write freely. Which means i have to be careful about what i write. Which means, i'd rather not write at all, as if i was writing everyday until now.

Now i understand when those articles in employment newspapers ask you to be careful of your net presence coz people, even employers can judge you from it... and i'm anyway not too great as far as first impressions are concerned.

But what the heck!! I've decided. I'll start posting stuff again... and since its not always what i'd like everyone around to read, use my own technique. I hope i am being reasonable in assuming that it is a way to avoid those search results pointing to you, and not underestimating the power of g00gle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

IIM main pahunch ke aise ajeeb ajeeb se post likh rahe ho :)

Shweta said...

Aachin? or Rohin?

sounds ajeeb kya? maybe so... dont take anything here as an iim student's post.. wont ever like it

and that is precisely the reason y i dont want unnecessary hits here... its not an iim student's blog

its the same old me, in a new place

justrohin said...

sahi hai pehchaan gayi... I am amazed :)

Waise kabhi GTalk pe mil jaaya karo.. Night outs mar rahi ho?

Shweta said...

I know your style rohin...
the only doubt arose because you wrote 'rahe ho' and not 'rahi ho'

I am often logged on gtalk... though i want to resist coz its too much of a time wastage... but dint find u there

justrohin said...

u wont find me there because here in US in office it is not allowed and at home i get limited wireless connectivity .. hence u c .. how r ur studies going... mail me back sometime

makuchaku said...

I agree with your point. This has happened with me too - but I blog, in any case :D

Good to see your blog in action again!

:)
Maku
http://www.makuchaku.info/blog