Monday, September 17, 2007

Faux Pass 1

Scene: Agr! Bus!ness Conference, Day 2, 12th August, 2007

Situation: As a volunteer, I was co-ordinating one of the sessions, which essentially meant I had to change ppts and hand the projector’s remote control to the guest speakers. And being my usual self, I thought, a natural responsibility was to answer anyone and everyone’s queries. So while I was sitting there, this gentleman approached me, kept his hands on the table and leaned over… lets call him DS

DS: Hi.. There are a couple of students here from Bikaner, and they want to meet you all… just a small interaction
(With this one line, I assumed he was the prof accompanying those students and was trying to be intrusive and show his students what students here were like)

Me: Ok Sir, you mean the abm students here?
DS: Yes.. you are an abm student here, right?
Me: Yes sir..
DS: So, ask some of your classmates and arrange an informal meeting, they just want to know what all you people study, what you do etc.
Me: Sure sir, I’ll ask my seniors and classmates and let you know…

(Now, being extremely formal and suddenly feeling the need to be extra courteous, I used the most clichéd of ways to ask his name…)

Me: Sir, your good name please?
DS: huh??
Me: Umm.. sir, so how shall I inform you… your contact no… you staying at the guest house?
DS: Well.. my name is Dev! S!ngh… You don’t have to inform me, you can tell Mr. S Kum@r, your abm head, he’ll arrange the meeting…

WOOOW!
^$&#%*#&@!

I held my forehead in disgust over myself.. and made no attempt to hide it.. For god sake, that’s The Director of the Institute, and I am NOT supposed to forget HIS face after listening to him for an hour during induction, even if that was on a sleepy morning, from the last bench of the biggest hall here(leave alone the other sources where I should have and must have seen his pictures).

Me: I am extremely sorry sir.
DS: Never mind, that’s fine. Just arrange that meeting..
Me: Sure sir

Ain’t I certified in performing blunders after this?

7 comments:

Monika Maheshwari said...

Hats off to your dare lady..!!! As if it wasnt sufficient for things to be hellish there, you added one more feather to it....And all those who thought "That's it"..hmm well there is no stopping for this musketeer..!!! She already had another one in pipeline..bas execution hi baki tha...!! and then woh execute bhi kar diya mademoiselle ne..even before the term gets over..kya kare Control nahi hota hai na..:)Well I'm sure we gonna witness many more in the days to come..rite da?

monalisa said...

Cant believe ur absent mindedness lady!!! This one was just amazing!! n u know, I ws so disappointed dat i wsnt present there to see DS's face!! waise serves him right,eh! U rock,gurl!!

Shweta said...

Hmm madamoseille.. you know me enough to not to not expect more of such disasters in days to come...

And Mattu madam, dont say dat.. us din ke baad lagta hai pata nahin kaun kab kahan mil jaye, isliye, aise vichaar prakat nahin karte

Anonymous said...

WOW .. and i thought those who got into IIM's were smartest ppl of this country :P ...
On the second thought i am amazed that 'The Director of the Institute' is not able to make a mark on u guys and u can actually FORGET him ...
So are u the only one to be blamed for this BLUNDER !!!

monalisa said...

I woud like to point out here Aachin that its not that the Director of the institute hasnt left a mark on the students( waise on second thoughts, he actulayy hasnt ;) ).. bt Ms. Shweta anyways has the capability of seeing someone AND talking to him one moment, n forgetting him even if its just the very next moment!!! hence, nothing to b surprised :)

Anonymous said...

I am so.. so.. proud of you my dear lady.

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know earlier that you can actually do this. After cribbing in front of DTR in bank, and asking me names of our classmates even after six months in this place are over, this was definitely a masterpiece, done by ONE AND ONLY: Our Shwets.
Hope you give me many more moments of laughter like this, without creating troubles for yourself.